Tuesday, April 27, 2010

benchmarks for "B"!

Braxton has had a few benchmark experiences lately.....1. feeding himself with a spoon for the first time 2. getting his first black eye.


One of my favorite ways to teach kids to use a spoon is by giving them a bowl of whip cream!! I used to LOVE telling parents this idea when I was working. Come on, think about it! The bowl of interesting looking whip cream is placed in front of the toddler. A spoon is placed in his hand and directed towards the bowl. Just a small touch of the spoon to the cream is all that is necessary to increase the interest and then the spoon automatically ends up in said toddler's mouth. This tiny taste of pure yummy goodness is all the motivation required to continue the routine of putting spoon to bowl, scooping (or just simply touching!) and then bringing spoon to mouth. Perfect practice :) Braxton totally agreed.


Yes, you read correctly. My sweet 12 month old boy had his first black eye. While we were at the beach for Mymike's memorial service, Braxton was in his high chair eating. When he was finished, I started to take him out while my grandmother was talking to me. As I took the tray off, I looked up at her to finish my sentence, and before I knew it, he was halfway to the ground, falling FACEfirst onto the hard, kitchen floor. I honestly thought he had broken his nose. He cried so hard. And the black eye didn't even show up until the following day. But it lasted over a week....and it looked horrible! So sad. I am sure this won't be the last one, but it was pitiful that it had to be the first one at just a little over ONE year old!


No comments:

Post a Comment