Sunday, January 24, 2010

2nd Annual YL Carolinas Region Leader/Committee Weekend

Shawn and I had an amazing weekend spent at the Great Wolf Lodge with over 600 other folks from the Carolinas Region of Young Life. This was the 2nd annual gathering of all leaders and committee members from the 25 different YL areas that make up the Carolinas Region. It was such a sweet time to really get to hang out and love on the missionaries (YL Leaders) that go into the high schools in our area and reach kids for Christ. We are so blessed to be a part of such an incredible organization that makes it a priority to do this like this: coming together to worship, learn, be challenged by God's Word, PRAY, and play together as a family. This year I felt like the bar was raised up a notch in regards to the programming. There was, of course, in YL fashion, a super hilarious run-on that kept us all laughing throughout the weekend. We were SO blessed to be lead in worship by none other than Ed Cash (http://www.edcash.com/). How powerful it was to be in a giant room with that many people, singing with such passion! We also had such a privilege to hear teaching from Steve Gardner, the regional area director. This year, the topic for the weekend was "joy": having joy in your personal life, ministry life, and in community. Steve is such an awesome speaker! There were definitely a few nuggets that I wrote down (well, more than a few, but I will just share a few with you!) that I want to hold on to....

Night one, we were challenged to FULLY grasp the fact that the God of the universe is madly in love with each of us. Steve said, "You know, deep down in my heart, I've thought that if the time ever came I would probably die for someone else. You know, if a building is on fire, I'd probably go in there to save someone else or I would probably jump in front of a bullet to save someone. But you know what, God didn't do that. He didn't die for me. He sent His SON to do that." wow. From the perspective of being a parent, I couldn't even imagine or fathom the thought of putting Braxton in a burning building if it meant saving someone else or throwing him in front of a bullet to save another person. But that's EXACTLY what God did when He sent Jesus to die for ME.

Last night, Steve made TWO points that I wrote down and want to keep bringing myself back to: 1. Is my heart more or less sensitive to lost people than it was last year?
2. Am I living the life that I am inviting others to live??

The thing that is absolutely amazing about the community of Young Life (leaders and committee) is that when we all get together, there is always some CRAZY fun to be had! After worshipping and praising and hearing the message, we all played together...for a long time....and had LOTS of fun...until almost midnight! If I could just explain what it is like to watch a group of people go from holding their hands up in praise to punching their fists in the air while jumping up and down to "Jump Around" by House of Pain just one hour later during a ridiculously out of control 80's dance party!!! I did take some pictures, but NOTHING will do it justice. Wow...can't WAIT for next year!

the current Greater Lake Norman area leaders:
playing some really silly game about sliding in your seat....I have no clue who comes up with these games!


the totally spontaneous 80's dance party...



1 comment: