Sunday, March 20, 2011

The BIG reveal...and the kids joint birthday party!!!

Wow, yesterday was quite a day!!!! Not only did we have a joint birthday party for Reilly and Braxton, we also found out the gender of baby #3! It was such a fun and exciting day!! We had DeeDee and Poppi, Grandpa, Mama Ree, Nana, Aunt Kelly and cousin Shaun, and the Drescher family over for the celebration. It was a great time for the kids to play out in the backyard and enjoy the playset while the adults talked somewhat peacefully! We ate a yummy dinner and then had a time of ridiculous present opening....almost identical to Christmas morning! Good grief these kids have a lot of grandparents!! :)







After the present opening craze was over, we got right to the "main event"....the CAKE!!!! Since I haven't blogged about this yet...let me take some time to explain...

Back on Valentines Day, we had our ultrasound to see all the tiny details of the new baby. It never ceases to amaze me how God creates life and all of it's perfect design!! We decided to have the ultrasound technician put a picture revealing the baby's gender in an envelope that we would keep sealed until later.




So I have had this very special envelope in my desk drawer for 5 weeks! To be honest, I didn't hardly think about it b/c I'm just not used to finding out the sex of our baby before the actual birth! We had plans to have a super big "reveal" where Karin would take the picture and bake a birthday cake for the kids that would announce the gender of the baby, based the color of the cake. That has been our plan since we first found out we were pregnant!! Until we actually had the envelope! I have been going back and forth about whether or not I really wanted to find out or just keep it a secret until the end like we were used to. I soooo don't like change, and this is a HUGE change from how we've done it the last two times! When it finally came time, I decided (THIS WEEK!) to go ahead with the cake plan. So, I called Karin up and told her the envelope was ready for her to pick up so she could begin making the cake. She came right over and as soon as I handed her the envelope, she tore into it as quick as she could, right in front me! And then she continued to send me messages throughout the day about how she knew what I was having and I didn't. So cruel! :) She worked so hard to make the perfect birthday cake for the kids, while also have it be such a significant cake as well. In the end, after many trials, she decided to go with a white 4 layer cake and then color the icing in between the layers either pink or blue depending on the gender. The cake was absolutely perfect. She even put a giant green question mark on the top of it and then wrote Happy Birthday Braxton and Reilly on the sides. so great!! So, after we got done with the presents, I was READY to cut the cake! Shawn and I had decided we were going to do it just like we were getting married; both of our hands on the knife, cutting together. I must admit, when I started cutting, I wasn't even thinking about the baby until I heard someone say, "it's Blue!" when we pulled the knife out after the first cut. And then, when we pulled the first piece out, sure enough, the icing inside was BLUE!!!!! I showed it to Reilly and asked her what that meant and right away she said, "it's a boy"!!!!!! It was perfect :) What a cool day! And now....to try to prepare for another sweet baby boy!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment